Gimme, Gimme Gimme

7 Apr 2013

Turtles Struck at the Death

Two goals in added time brought smiles among the travelling Terengganu fans as their side will take a 3-1 lead back to Kuala Terengganu for the second leg of their FA Cup quarter final tie against Negeri Sembilan.

The home side, currently propping the Super League table put up a display that belied that position as they dominated proceedings in the early part of the match, only to be let down by their frontline inability to finish chances that came their way.

Former Negeri Sembilan striker, Effa Owona was keen to show what the home side are missing this season as he led the line for The Turtles. However he was kept on a tight leash by William Modibo who never let his fellow countryman out of his sight.

The match was played on a heavy pitch after rain came down in the afternoon causing players to slip frequently.

The match saw its first goal in the 73rd minute when a continuous pressure by Negeri Sembilan forced Terengganu defender, Vincent Bikana into making an error when his attempted clearance fell to Nazrin Nawi whose shot finally saw Sharmiza Yusoff beaten.

The Deers fans celebrated wildly but their joy was cut short four minutes later when Owona's smart finish saw the scoreline even once again. The goal seemed to take out the fight from the home side as Terengganu looked the stronger side in the last ten minutes.

Owona then earned a penalty in the last minute after he was fouled by Modibo inside the box. The striker was determined to take the penalty himself, brushing the request from Abdul Manaf Mamat to let him take the spot kick.

It was a bad decision by Owona who saw his attempt well saved by Hamsani Ahmad. The goalkeeper clearly enjoyed the moment as it looked like he had ensured his team will go with a fighting chance to Kuala Terengganu.

However Hamsani looked like a beaten man after four minutes of added time saw his goal was breached twice. First from a Ismail Faruqi's corner when Ashaari Shamsuddin rose highest to flick home at the near post.

Before the goalkeeper could catch his breath again, Terengganu were on the attack again after they managed to break down the home side attack. Abdul Manaf laid the ball into the path of Ahmad Nordin Alias.

Despite Hamsani managed to save the initial shot, the midfielder latched onto the rebound to ensure a healthy lead for his side to bring back to Kuala Terengganu for the second leg.

In Johor Bahru, home side Darul Takzim fell 2-1 to Selangor who scored through Mahali Jasuli and Amri Yahyah before Safee Sali reduced the deficit from the spot kick. Daniel Guiza failed to cap his farewell with a goal after his attempt from the penalty spot was saved by Norazlan Razali.

Pahang failed to use their home advantage to the fullest after they failed to find their way past Premier League side, Sime Darby FC as Ismail Zakaria's boys held the Super League boys to a goalless stalemate.

Joseph Kalang Tie scored a precious away goal for Sarawak in Kota Bahru in his side 2-1 defeat to holders, Kelantan. Faiz Subri had put his side ahead with a wonderful long range shot just after seven minutes before Khairil Izuan Rosli doubled the lead in the 23rd minute.


No comments: